THIS is AMAZING! While I was exploring my vegan side, almost a year ago now, I made up this bowl one night. At first glance its going to seem bland and boring. But let me tell you, this bowl is packed with deliciousness. Each bowl contains a full serving of whole grains, vegetables, healthy fats and protein. Give it a try and add in anything you want…If you like what end result let me know what you’ve added!
Super Delicious Protein Bowl
- 2 cups uncooked quinoa + 4 cups water 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-2 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups chickpeas, canned
- 1 large sweet yellow onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup sunflower seeds, toasted if preferred
- 2 cups asparagus, cut into 1/2-inch segments
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds per bowl
- 1/4 cup Better Than Bottled Balsamic Vinaigrette, to taste
- Black pepper and sea salt, to taste
Directions: Cook 2 cups quinoa in 4 cups of water in a medium sized pot. Bring to a boil and then reduce to low, stirring frequently for about 10 minutes. While this is cooking you can sauté the chopped onion and minced garlic in a lightly oiled pan on medium heat. After a few minutes, add the chopped asparagus to the onion mixture and cook for another 5 minutes or so, or until lightly browned. Fluff cooked quinoa and pour on some Better Than Bottled Balsamic Vinaigrette– use as much or as little as you want. I probably used about 1/4 cup to lightly toss the quinoa and then I used a bit more of the dressing to pour over top of the bowl when I was ready to eat. Scoop quinoa as the base for the bowl and then start adding your toppings in each section- asparagus, sunflower seeds, chia seeds, chickpeas, and onions. Serve and enjoy the leftovers for days to come!
Better than Bottled Balsamic Vinaigrette
- 2.5 tablespoons balsamic, white, or red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard or regular mustard
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 minced clove of garlic (optional)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Directions: Toss all ingredients into a bowl and whisk! Makes about 1/2 cup of dressing.