I have been experimenting with side dishes lately… or to be honest, just something low-carb to go with my protein and veggies. Since I have omitted grains from my diet, I have learned a million ways to make sweet potatoes. And as much as I love sweet potatoes, (I even eat them as for breakfast, see photo below) last week I just couldn’t force myself to eat a single one.
I started asking around and decided to try Lentils for my new side-of -choice. The thing I love about sweet potatoes is the blend of salty and sweet plus they are SO easy, and in my experience (which was limited) Lentils didn’t seem to fall into either of those categories. I solved this problem! One day at Trader Joe’ s I stumbled upon PRE-COOKED, Ready-to-eat Lentils!
Genius! And then I had the brilliant idea of mixing them with a teriyaki sauce and some other goodies and sure enough, my “side” problem was solved! The recipe I’m posting is the most basic version. Since making this dish the first night I have played around by adding in more veggies (mushrooms, spinach, red peppers, asparagus…etc). This is basically a GREAT substitute for rice in a stir-fry or really as a base for any protein and could be put on top of a nice cold bed of greens to bulk up a salad. Lots of ways to play this one up. Hope you enjoy it!
- 1/2 package Trader Joe’s Steamed Lentils (or roughly 2 Cups other cooked lentils)
- 1/2 yellow onion, Chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, Chopped
- 1 Cup shredded carrots
- 1/4 Soyaki Teriyaki Sauce
- 1 TBsp Coconut Oil (or Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
- Put oil in pan and heat, saute garlic and onions until a nice brown.
- Add in carrots, lentils and Sauce.
- Stir to break up and mix Lentils.
- Let simmer, for 5 minutes stirring as needed.
Taste and ENJOY!